In August 2016, CRCP underwent an External Review to review how CRCP-funded science was supporting management needs. One of the recommendations of that review was to improve the timeliness of analytical products and alignment with management needs. A similar observation was raised in the FY16 NMFS ExternalReview of the PIFSC Ecosystem Sciences Enterprise which included NCRMP efforts. FY16 was also identified as a transition year for CRCP, and so CREP submitted a number of one-year projects to implement. As such, the FY17 work plan process provided flexibility for CREP to examine NCRMP data and information product needs holistically and propose a suite of management-relevant products that are meeting requests from PIRO and state/jurisdictional partners. For example, PIRO is required to complete the first-ever Monument Management Plan for the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument and plan to use NCRMP data as the foundation for this document, as they used the Coral Reef Ecosystem Monitoring Report for the Mariana Archipelago: 2003-2010 in developing the Monument Management Plan for the Marianas Trench Marine National Monument. As a jurisdictional example, CREP staff will be responding to a request by the Hawaii Division of Aquatic Resources to analyze NCRMP data to assess the statewide impacts of the 2014 and 2015 mass coral bleaching events on coral reefs in Hawaii, in addition to serving on the Hawaii Bleaching Response Team tasked with developing their first-ever bleaching response plan.In an effort to maintain the integrity of essential NCRMP data collection efforts amidst steadily increasingly inflationary costs over the past 8 years, much of the data analysisand informational product development and reporting had to be reduced or eliminated as overall CREP staff size declined by ~30%. These reductions have significantly impacted the timeliness and management utility of the NCRMP dataset to our primary stakeholders, the Federal and jurisdictional coral reef managers. The proposed product suite for FY17 concurrently helps NOAA and our Federal, State and Territorial partners meet multiple mandates, including: the development of allowable catch limits and designation of essential fish habitat under the Magnuson-Stevens Fisheries Conservation and Management Act; critical habitat designations, listing decisions, and recovery plans under the U.S. Endangered Species Act; the design of marine protected area networks, and ability to evaluate the effectiveness of various fisheries and coastal resource management actions of our jurisdictional partners. These efforts also support compliance with the recently establishedPublic Access to Research Results policy (PARR, 2013) and will enable continued technical guidance and engagement with our Federal and jurisdictional management partners, including serving on plan teams, advisory groups, and presenting scientific analyses and results at management meetings and workshops.
- Complete NOAA Special Publication entitled Coral Reef Ecosystems of the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument: A 2001-2016 Overview as requested by NMFS-PIRO to support development of the PRIMNM Monument Management Plan. Sept. 2017- Finalize, publish, and disseminate NOAA-CRCP NCRMP 'Coral Reef Condition Report Card for American Samoa' following 18 months of contributions from CREP team leads, July 2018.- Synthesize and summarise data gathed by fish team in 2016, and report out at Pacific-wide and Island- scales. The purposes of the report is to be transparent about the data gathered by the CREP fish team for the National Coral Reef Monitoring Program and provide simple visual represenations of that data. May 2017.-Synthesize and summarise data gathed by benthic team in 2016, and report out at Pacific-wide and Island- scales. The purposes of the report is to be transparent about the data gathered by the CREP benthic team, provide simple visual represenations of that data. Dec. 2017- Assist CRCP in developing and publishing NCRMP Report for HawaiiArchipelago, June 2018- Assist CRCP in developing and publishing NCRMP Report for PRIMNM, June 2018- Assist CRCP in developing and publishing NCRMP Report for Mariana Archipelago, Nov. 2018- Complete NOAA Special Publication entitled 'Coral Reef Ecosystem Monitoring Report for the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument: 2001-2016. Sept. 2018.- NOAA Report on identifying coral reef resilience potential in American Samoa based on CREP Pacific RAMP survey data. Dec. 2017- Develop metadata records in InPort to support the Coral Reef Ecosystem Moniotring Report for the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument, June 2017.- Submissionof a journal paper to analyze relative importance of range of drivers ofherbivorous fish assemblages (pooled into functional groups) to (I) describepattersn of difference among US Pacific Islands; and (ii) identify importanceof human, biotic (eg coral cover) and abiotic (eg wave energy, temperature)drivers on differences aong areas. June 2017.- Submission of journal paper on the spatial patterns and environmental drivers of reef accretion using calcification accretion units (CAUs) across the Pacific islands, Oct. 2017.- Submission of journal paper on the effects of the 2015 and 2016 El Nino warm event on corals at Jarvis Island, Jan. 2018.- Compare visual surveyestimates of biomass of target and no target coral reef fishes by divers onSCUBA with counts by divers on closed circuit rebreather (CCR). March 2017.- Analysis of benthic images collected at benthic,fish, and climate sites from 2016 Hawaiian Archipelago Reef Assessment and Monitoring Program cruise. Dec. 2017.- Journal paper on the spatial patterns of carbonate chemistry on coral reefs across the Pacific islands, April 2018.- Journalpaper on the spatial and temporal patterns of the differences between seasurface temperature and subsurface temperature on coral reefs. Feb. 2018- Serve on numerous management agency and Council scientific advisory groups, including Hawaii Bleaching Response Team, WPRFMC Coral Reef Ecosystem Plan Team, WPRFMC SAFE Report Team, etc.
- American Samoa
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Pacific Remote Island Areas
- Northwestern Hawaiian Islands
Jursdiction Priority Sites:
- Ka'anapali-Kahekili (Maui)
- Manell-Geuss Watershed