Ungulate fencing and sediment reduction
NOAA, NOS, Office for Coastal Management (OCM)
Type Period Note:
Final Report, November 14, 2013 to September 30, 2014
"Our goal was to reduce local erosion and its effects with ungulate-proof fencing and by propagating and out-planting native plants. In the process of building the fence line, we took all precautions to insure no historical or cultural trails or sites were disturbed. We used plants as the main erosion control measure to keep as much sediment out of the ocean as possible via natural means. This replaced our initial strategy to use straw waddle, as we learned from our partners (and our own experience) that using straw waddle for erosion control was very expensive, labor intensive, and finally unsuccessful. With the help of the Pelekane Bay Watershed Project team, we learned how to build and did build a sediment dam with the large rocks from the area, shade cloth material, and hog wire with the help of some very strong men and women. The purpose of the dam is to catch the sediment from one stream that flows to the ocean on the project site with heavy rains. As sediment builds up over time, it can be collected and used for planting. Within the fenced areas we built three paddocks: one to preserve historical sites for possible restoration, another as an ungulate trapping area, and the final for out-planting. We planned to lure the goats in with food and water but thus far have only caught one. We will continue to experiment with other foods, traps, etc. to try to be more successful. We propagated and out-planted a minimum of 1200 native plants and scattered a half gallon of seeds that were collected to self-propagate during the rainy season. We also replanted an additional 100 or so plants that did not survive the first two weeks after being out-planted. All of the activities of this project served to educate our neighbors, community members, and volunteers on the importance of protecting our watershed. As part of our outreach, a public presentation was made to the members and attendees of the South Kohala CDP meeting and volunteers manned a booth to share information about this project at the Makalii festival as well as the Wiliwili festival. The UH Hilo KUULA marine science class was comprised of young adults who participated on the first community workday. This set us on the right path to reach the target audience, for they will be the next group of people to work on these types of projects. Starting here gives them the opportunity to see the issues first hand and learn how little steps can have big, positive impacts. We also targeted the students of the Youth Challenge Academy under the direction of the Hawaii National Guard. Forty-seven at risk youth? volunteered to come out at 5AM from Hilo and work in the hot sun for hours on this project. Our purpose was to engage them in a project that could provide a sense of accomplishment, help connect them to the land, and help them to understand the bigger picture of resource management - showing them how small differences they make now can result in big differences in their future. At the end of the day, 90% of the youth participants asked to come back and continue to work on this project and related projects. Arrangements and partnerships are being created to coordinate routine workdays and year-round participation for students of this program as well as similar projects with partner organizations along the North and West coastline. One of our partners the Waikoloa Dry Forest Initiative made arrangements students from Cornell University to participate in Kailapas efforts by propagating and donating 500 native plants to this project. This project has given us hands-on experiences which highlight the importance of our native plants, gathering and seeding techniques, and best practices of re-potting, out-planting, and maintenance. We are currently exploring the options for natural fertilizers to decrease chemicals on the land which can enter the ocean via runoff. It is a tiny but critical first step in the bigger picture. For this project, there were 15 community workdays including two days for workshops to learn how to propagate plants from seeds and cuttings. The number of volunteers for all of the workdays totaled 198 (not including those from Cornell University)."
FY2011 CRCP Project ID 20645; Project Title: Domestic Coral Reef Conservation Grant Programs; Principal Investigator: Jenny Waddell ~ FY2011 CRCP grant NA11NOS4820006
NOS/Office for Coastal Management (OCM)